Wednesday, October 24, 2012

School Do's and Dont's

Over the course of my college career I have taken about 35 courses. I am a junior and thus far one of the most efficient courses I have taken would be my upper division business finance class. That is because in this class you are thought the basics of the financial calculator. This is very important for the field I want to get in because understanding the difference between a good and bad investment is crucial. I also learned a lot of finance jargon in this class as well. Before I wouldn't be able to tell you what APR or EAR stood for but now I do! That is very important in the professional world, no one wants to be the one in the meaning who dose not understand what things mean it also makes you seem less credible if you don't know your terms. But then there is the course geology I took in college as well. I didn't feel this was relevant for my major at all. I didn't feel it is important I learn to learn why volcanos explode, this isn't going to help me sell homes or study business reports. Another course that is efficient for my college career was my upper division information systems class. In this class I learned how to use excel and access. The reason I found it very relevant is because I will use this tool in real life to communicate with my clients and co-workers. Being able to design spreadsheets, charts and tons of other media at my fingertips is very useful and efficient.

3 comments:

  1. I never understood the point of general education. It makes absolutely no sense like you stated to take a geology course when you are a business major. General education can be such a waste of time. The school system needs to figure out a better curriculum. I was curious which finance class your were talking about that gave you so much insight and good information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Finance to be a very important class as well. This class definitely gave me a good head start and foundation to understanding the finance world. I too feel that most general education classes are a waste of time. It is almost as though colleges want to keep you around longer and paying more in tuition by implementing general education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree with why people see general education as unimportant. However, being well rounded in many different subjects can help you become a more intelligent person. Knowing a broad amount of finance facts but having no knowledge of simple biology or geography is going to leave you lost. Knowing basic information about lots of different subjects is key to success. Most general educations serve a purpose.

    ReplyDelete